Mac & Cheese is one of my favorite dishes, and something I crave all the time. I love that in vegan cooking, there are so many different ways to go about making this dish, but personally, using sweet potato for the sauce is my personal favorite. I know you may be thinking…. sweet potato? How could that ever taste like cheese? Well, let me show you how! This recipe is super easy to make as well.
You’ll want to start out by finely dicing one onion, and three cloves of garlic & then browning them in a small amount of olive oil. You want the onions and garlic to become golden brown and translucent. Set aside to cool once finished, you’ll be blending these into the sauce later!
Next up is cooking your sweet potatoes! You can peel and boil them, or roast them in the oven. Personally I like roasting them because it gives them an extra sweetness and depth of flavor. Roast them in foil at 400 F for about an hour, until fork tender. Allow to cool, and then remove from the skins & set aside.
Once your potatoes, onions, and garlic are cooked- you’re ready to make the sauce! For this you’ll need lemon juice, miso paste (I used white miso paste), nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, raw unsalted cashews, salt, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, tamari, and regular unsweetened almond milk. Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, its pretty simple! Just throw everything including your potatoes, onions, and garlic into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
Once you have your sauce made, go ahead and cook your pasta. We used a brown rice elbow pasta, but you can use any shape that you’d like- and you don’t have to use gluten free pasta if you don’t want too! After your pasta is cooked, stir in your sauce, and then transfer to an oven safe skillet.
I like to top my mac & cheese with breadcrumbs… it gives it such a homey feel. For this just simply mix your gluten free breadcrumbs with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder & sprinkle over your mac and cheese. Place under your broiler until golden brown and crispy. I also like to top my mac & cheese with fresh chives at the very end to add a subtle onion flavor! You can also top it with rosemary, fried sage, shiitake bacon, soyrizo…the possibilities are endless! And that’s it! I told you guys this recipe was easy!
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 medium / 4 small)
- 1 lb gluten free elbow pasta
- 1 1/2-2 cups regular unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs tamari
- salt / pepper to taste
- 1 tbs white miso
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 4 tbs olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- fresh chives
- Place your sweet potatoes wrapped in foil in a preheated 400 F oven for an hour until fork tender. Once cooked, remove from skins and set aside.
- Add 2 tbs of olive oil to a pan, and add your onion and garlic. Cook until browned, and set aside.
- Add your sweet potatoes, cooked onions / garlic, almond milk, cashews, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, tamari, white miso, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to a high powered blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Cook your pasta according to package directions, and drain. Mix sauce with pasta and transfer to an oven safe skillet.
- Mix your breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil, with salt to taste, and the garlic powder. Sprinkle over top your mac & cheese.
- Place under the broiler until golden brown and crispy. Top with fresh chives.