As you guys can probably tell, I love using as much pumpkin as possible in the fall months. But I also absolutely love the combination of chipotle peppers with the pumpkin in more savory dishes. There’s just something about the sweet and spicy flavor that I can’t kick. We also have a recipe for chipotle pumpkin chili up on here as well, if you’re interested in more chipotle pumpkin flavored dishes! For this macaroni & cheese, we used a mix of pepperjack and cheddar cheeses, roasted red peppers, pumpkin, and chipotle peppers in adobo for our sauce, and then topped the whole thing with some vegan chorizo, and crispy shallots. This one of those recipes that are so warm and comforting, you’ll want to eat the whole pot. Let’s get started!
-P.S. This whole recipe can be made soy free by not using the vegan soy chorizo
So we’re starting out by making a roux. A roux is some sort of flour and fat mixed together, that help to thicken sauces. For our flour, we are using arrowroot powder, and the fat, vegan butter. Im also adding in some smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and white pepper at this stage as well. Mix everything together over medium heat until it forms a nice paste and turns a golden color.
To build the rest of your sauce, you will need some chipotle peppers in adobo, pureed pumpkin, Daiya pepperjack & cheddar style shreds, and regular unsweetened almond milk. Start by pureeing a few chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce, and make sure it is all combined together smoothly. Add your pumpkin puree & chipotle pepper puree into your roux. Cook for another minute, and then add your almond milk. Allow that to heat up a bit, maybe 3 minutes or so over medium heat. Add your cheeses, and whisk together until the cheese has fully melted. Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, and mix with your cheese sauce. I like to add roasted red bell peppers (the ones you buy in a jar that are soaked in oil) in with the noodles & sauce, because it adds another smoky flavor to this mac and cheese! Pour into a baking dish, and top with extra cheese & some gluten free bread crumbs (optional) and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and serve! We topped ours with some vegan soy chorizo (store bought), and some shallots fried over high heat in butter until crispy.
- 1 lb. pasta
- 1 bag daiya pepper jack style shreds
- 1 bag daiya cheddar style shreds
- 2 cups regular unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbs arrowroot powder
- 3 tbs vegan butter
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper (more or less depending on spice preference)
- 1 tbs white pepper
- 1 14 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 chipotle peppers & the adobo sauce in the can
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers in oil
- vegan chorizo
- 4 shallots
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
- In a pot, heat your arrowroot powder, butter, paprika, white pepper, and cayenne over medium heat until thick and cooked down.
- Puree your chipotle peppers with your adobo sauce, and add to the roux (flour and butter) in the pot with the pumpkin puree. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the almond milk, stir and cook for 2 minutes until heated slightly. Then add your cheeses and whisk together until they have melted and the sauce becomes creamy.
- Once your pasta is done, mix it with the cheese sauce, and some sliced roasted red bell peppers. Add to a baking dish, top with extra cheese & breadcrumbs if desired, and bake for 15 minutes in the oven.
- Slice your shallots and heat some oil or vegan butter in a skillet until hot. Add the shallot and cook on high heat until crispy. Heat up some vegan chorizo, and top your mac & cheese with that and the shallots when its done baking.
- Serve and enjoy!