I think sloppy joe’s are one of those staple meals most of you would’ve had as a child. It was just such a cheap and easy meal, and definitely a go to in American cuisine. These are packed with protein and vitamins, and everything in this meal is healthy for you, so your body will be happy! I chose to top these with avocado and sauerkraut, because the sauerkraut has almost a pickle-y flavor, but since it is fermented, it adds an array of nutrients and unique health benefits. As for the avocado, it adds a lot more protein, and adds a smooth creaminess to balance out all of the flavors.
We are starting these sloppy joe’s out with some green lentils. Any lentil you have on hand will do (green, french, red, black), but I personally prefer the green for this dish. Cook your lentils in some vegetable broth, with salt & one bay leaf, just like how you would cook rice. Once your lentils are cooked, you can set them aside and wait until the rest of your sauce is ready.
For the vegetable side of the filling, we will be using a green bell pepper, red onion, carrots, and garlic. It is very important that you dice them (besides the garlic, which you want to mince) all the same size, so that they cook evenly and are all the same size in one bite. Cook them in some olive oil and vegan butter once you’ve chopped everything, with a little salt and pepper. You want to cook these over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes, until everything is soft.
For the rest of the filling you will need some tomato puree, ketchup, yellow mustard, brown sugar, dried oregano, tamari, vegan worcestershire, and garlic granules. Add your ingredients to the pot with your veggies, and stir to incorporate. Cook down for about 15 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick. Then add in your lentils and cook for about another 5 minutes.
For toppings you can use really whatever you’d like! Sauerkraut, pickles, avocado, red onions, tomato, onion rings…. think outside the box! We chose avocado and sauerkraut. That way you get that tangy pickle-y flavor, as well as something nice and creamy. Toast up your buns, add your toppings, and then your sloppy joe mix. Serve and enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 oz. can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/8 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs tamari
- 2 tbs vegan worcestershire
- 2 tbs dried oregano
- 2 tbs garlic granules
- 1 tbs + 1 tbs pink himalayan salt
- 1 tbs + 2 tbs black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs vegan butter
- brioche buns
- Cook your lentils with your vegetable broth & bay leaf. Add everything to a large pot with a fitted lid, and add 1 tbs pink himalayan salt, and 1 tbs black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and put the lid on. Simmer until all of the lentils are soft and cooked through.
- Dice your bell pepper, red onion, and carrots all to the same small bite sized chunks. Mince your garlic. Add your olive oil and butter in a pot until foaming, then add all of your vegetables. Sautee over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until everything is soft.
- Then add your tomato puree, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, tamari, worcestershire, oregano, garlic granules, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 15 minutes until thickened.
- Add in your lentils and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with avocado & sauerkraut (or whatever toppings you please) on a bun. Enjoy!