Who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? Especially when it’s stuffed inside of a smoky, spicy pepper, & topped with bacon?! We definitely do! Even though there is a few components to this recipe, don’t be scared, it’s very easy! You can also make the macaroni and cheese on its own as well, instead of stuffing it in the peppers. Let’s get into the recipe!
For the cheese sauce you’ll need some gold potatoes, carrots, white onion, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic & onion granules, unsweetened regular almond milk, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, apple cider vinegar, pink himalayan salt, and raw unsalted cashews. Cook your peeled potato, carrot, and onion in lightly salted boiling water until fork tender, making sure you reserve about 1 cup of your cooking liquid before you drain them. Once they’re done, strain the vegetables and add them to a blender with some of the reserved cooking water. Pulse until combined, then add the rest of your ingredients and blend until completely smooth. While you’re making your sauce, you’ll want to cook your pasta. We used the Andean Dream spiral pasta (2 boxes), and cooked them according to the package directions. Once your sauce is finished, mix together your sauce & pasta until it’s saucy enough for your liking. I like to add a little extra sauce than I’d usually like, because when it cooks in the oven, some of it dries up a bit.
For the peppers, we used poblano peppers. You can really use whatever peppers you’d like, bell peppers, Anaheim peppers, really anything you’d like! I chose to use poblanos because they have a moderate spice, and have a nice smoky flavor that infuses into the macaroni and cheese when it cooks, giving a really nice flavor. Just slice an opening on the top of your pepper (leaving the top / stem in tact), and then fill the cavity with macaroni and cheese. I top mine with some gluten free breadcrumbs & smoked paprika, just to add a little crunch on top. Pop these guys in a preheated 400 degree fahrenheit oven, and bake them for about 25 minutes. I also put them under the broiler for about a minute before they’re done as well just to char them a little more.
For your mushroom bacon, you will need vegan butter, liquid smoke, tamari, pink himalayan salt, black pepper, onion & garlic granules, and a large portobello mushroom cap. I use the portobello mushrooms because they’re very large, and when sliced thinly, they resemble bacon a bit. Slice your mushroom into thin long strips, and add to a very hot pan with all the other ingredients. Toss to combine, and cook until the mushrooms crisp up around all of the edges.
Once everything is finished, top your peppers with a few slices of the mushroom bacon, and also add some green onion as a garnish (optional). Serve, and enjoy these guys!
Macaroni and cheese:
- 2 boxes Andean Dream spiral pasta
- 2 cups peeled gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled carrots
- 2/3 cup white onion
- 1 1/2 cups water (reserved from the pot you cook your vegetables in)
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened regular almond milk
- 5 tbs nutritional yeast
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tbs onion granules
- 1 tbs garlic granules
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking)
- 1 tbs white pepper
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1/2 tbs pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 tbs black pepper
- 1/4 tbs onion granules
- 1/4 tbs garlic granules
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- 4-6 poblano peppers
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Peel and dice your vegetables for your cheese sauce. Cook them in lightly salted water until fork tender. ** MAKE SURE to reserve about 2 cups of the water from your pot before you drain these, you will need it for your sauce **
- Drain the vegetables, and add them to a blender with 1 1/2 cups of water that you reserved. Blend until smooth. Then add the rest of your sauce ingredients and blend until smooth again.
- While making your sauce, cook your pasta according to the package directions. Drain when finished and combine with your cheese sauce.
- Slice a hole in the top of your peppers, leaving the top and stem in tact, and fill the cavity with macaroni and cheese. *optional* Top with gluten free breadcrumbs & smoked paprika, then add to your preheated oven and cook for about 25 minutes. I also like to pop them under the broiler for about a minute after they’re done, just to really crisp up the top.
- For the mushrooms, slice your caps into long, thin strips, and add to a hot skillet with your other ingredients. Cook until crisp along the edges.
- Once your peppers are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes. Then top with a few slices of mushroom bacon.
- Serve & Enjoy!